Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Speaking Out on the "Day of Silence"

Whenever you read literature or writing about someone suffering from seclusion or a lack of being accepted it comes off in a terrible manner. I will be the first to admit that accounts of this nature are not the most enjoyable to read. You largely see the writer as one who enjoys personal pity parties, and the feelings that they express are rarely internalized.

Having said that, I need to let out some sadness and seclusion that I felt today. I need to be the one that complains about exactly how painful it is to feel rejected on a personal level. Today was a “Day of Silence” in my city, meaning that the community would be silent (abstain from speaking…yes…that’s the definition of silent…) for the day’s duration in order to represent the silence that gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, etc. populations feel due to the oppression and prejudice that we face in society. The idea, although possibly ineffective, was extremely sympathetic. However, when it came up among a good friend of mine and some other people, it only elicited negative comments. One kid in the group said that he threatened his other friend to “not go gay.” He then told us that if he knew gay people he would shoot them. Then he said, “just kidding…but seriously…”

The night then proceeded with me playing a game of ultimate Frisbee with an adult that is one of the most prejudiced individuals that I know. His entire family must have caught his homophobic sentiment. His daughter “can’t even stand the word lesbian,” she told me today. His wife cut his son’s hair so that the son wouldn’t look gay. I could write a novel about this family and all of the terrible things they’ve said about gays.

So I come to blog tonight because I feel so wounded inside. I feel silenced, outcasted in many ways not seen, not accepted for who I am but for what I am falsely perceived to be. It just hurts a lot. I wish all people could be as loving as some of my amazing straight friends and family. Two of my straight friends, a guy and a girl, did the “Day of Silence.” Numerous other people that I love, such as my parents, love me just because I’m me, unconditional of my sexual orientation. My best friend created a presentation to my psychology class about overcoming homophobia and heterosexism. He's straight as well.

To all of you who love and learn to love others different than yourselves, bless your souls. I appreciate you more than you know.

PS-This post doesn't make much sense. Please excuse me for venting.

5 comments:

Kengo Biddles said...

"Jesus said LOVE EVERYONE,
Treat them kindly too.
When your heart is filled with love,
Others will love you."


Funny ... I must've missed the hidden part that says "except gays, lesbians, black people, mexicans, ..."

-L- said...

I'm sorry for your sad day. Unfortunately there are bound to be more where you are confronted by people who really don't understand. They may not even be bad people, but their bigotry will always be a major downer.

On a happy note, I was glad to see you're not dead. :-)

Anonymous said...

That's weird, because I appreciate you more than you know.

Anonymous said...

You are sooooo SEXY!
Let's be secret lovers FOREVER!

eleka nahmen said...

I love hearing that there are straighties out there who aren't afraid to speak out (or silenciate, at it were) against homophobia and intolerance. Major props to your friends.